Growing up, my mother was always my biggest inspiration. She’s resilient, loving, and takes everything in her stride. As an adult, and long since leaving the family home, the lessons that my mother used to drum into my head are now given meaning, in a way that I could never grasp as a child.
These are 27 things that my mother taught me:
- Look after your feet, they’ll carry you through life
- Trust your intuition
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated
- Don’t make permanent decisions on temporary feelings
- Mind your P’s and Q’s
- You can catch more bees with honey than you can with vinegar
- Always save 10% of your wage for a rainy day
- All things in moderation
- Never compare yourself to others
- Never wear white to someone else’s wedding
- Or black
- Always wash your face before bed
- Always make your bed before you leave the house
- Forgive but don’t forget
- Always call your loved ones because one day you might not be able to
- Never go to bed angry
- Your greatest investment is yourself
- Don’t do things purely for the recognition
- Wear sunscreen on your face. Every. Single. Day.
- It takes twice as much effort to frown than It does to smile
- Have empathy
- Never let a bad relationship make you bitter or jaded
- Pay it forward
- Be a good friend
- Don’t kiss and tell
- Never let your mistakes define you. Rather, learn from them
- Drink plenty of water!
Somehow, I’m betting that your mothers had much the same advice as mine (because we all know that with motherhood comes an all-knowing air of wisdom). So to repay their love and lessons, be sure to check our Mother’s Day gift guide and show them just how much you love them!
Be sure to leave us a comment to let us know what your favourite ‘mum advice’ is!
The beautiful photo of mother and child by Milque Photography.