Here at Homebodii HQ, we strive for a more sustainable, eco-friendly future. Whilst 2020's kept most of us sitting at home with way too much time on our hands, we've seen this as an opportunity to sit down, and dig deep into the steps we're taking towards living more sustainably. Because after all, being a true homebody means embracing our beautiful Earth as our home too! Here are our top 20 ways to live more sustainably in 2020.
We realise that it can be incredibly intimidating to try to reduce your environmental footprint, especially when you compare your efforts to those around you. However, it takes breaking ‘sustainability’ down into small, manageable steps to realise just how much influence you have over your environmental footprint – the root of sustainable living is in your day-to-day routine.
So, we have produced a list of simple changes you can make to kickstart your journey towards a more sustainable and eco-friendly future:
- Turn the water off when cleaning your face.
- Use reusable cotton pads to removing your makeup.
- Hand wash your clothes, particularly if you only have a few items to clean
- Hang your wet clothes on a drying line/rack instead of using the drying machine.
- Repurpose old clothes as rags or donate to a local mechanic or kindergarten if no they are of no more use to you.
- Use a dishwasher instead of hand-washing – dishwashers today are far more energy and water efficient than our parents' when we were growing up!
- Carry around a bamboo or metal cutlery set with you – stop accepting plastic cutlery.
- If it’s available, ask suppliers and businesses to email you a copy of the receipt!
- Buy loose fruit and veg at the grocery store, we don’t need smaller plastic bags inside bigger ones!
- One of our personal favourites - Use veggie scraps to make vegetable broth. Just boil potato skins, carrot ends, broccoli stalks and any other scraps you have lying around and you have a cheap, healthy, additive-free soup base! Better yet – check out all the recipes you can make with underappreciated parts of the veggies, like this Broccoli stem salad!
- Open up your blinds and use as much natural light as possible before switching on your light bulbs. More sunshine = more happy!
- Buy a metal straw!
- Bring your favourite canvas or reusable shopping bag to your grocery shop, saves you 15c, and saves the Earth a whole lot of plastic!
- Buy yourself a beautiful Keep Cup - not only does it make your morning coffee look so much more appealing, but you don't have to waste cardboard or styrofoam coffee cups.
- Why not plant a garden? With more time at home, planting your own veggie garden gets you your daily dose of Vitamin D, plus it's a great sustainable step!
- Get your daily exercise in with walking or riding to the shops or work, instead of using your car.
- Recycle your old food jars, and containers! Give your old jam jars a good wash, tie a ribbon around them, pick a bunch of your favourite flowers, and you've got a gorgeous, sustainable flower vase!
- Buy local food products, instead of from a large scale corporation! Plus, the chances are that local farmers use less pesticides and chemicals, making your fresh produce healthier for you and our Earth!
- Donate your old clothes, instead of throwing them out!
- Do your research on brands that have a sustainable mission, and a sustainable range! Here at Homebodii, we operate with a central focus on sustainability in all that we do, which is why we are so proud of our entirely eco-friendly Petra range. Made entirely from 100% recyclable Tencel material, it is our most comfortable, breathable and feel-good collection yet! The Petra range features delicate bralettes, slips, PJ's and robes - so visit our Pacific Fair boutique or browse the full collection online.
We are still learning new ways to cut down waste and reduce our environmental impact. So, if you have any more useful tips on for us – we would absolutely love to hear them in the comment section below!